When you think about protecting your home, a garage is one place inside the building that you should consider. The contents in this area can easily attract criminals who want to break into homes and steal anything they find valuable or interesting – including cars!
After reading this guide, you can rest assured knowing your home is safe because it will show you the best ways to your garage door security.
Can Burglars Open Garage Doors?
Unfortunately, the answer is yes. Burglars always look for new ways to break into homes, and an unlocked or unsecured garage door is an easy target.
A universal garage door opener (UGDO) is the most common way. These device designs are perfect for opening any garage door, regardless of the make or model. All a burglar needs are the code for your UGDO, which they can easily find online or through trial and error.
Another way burglars can open your garage door is by picking the lock. This method requires more time and effort, but it can be done if the burglar is patient enough. They may also try to force the door open if it’s not locked properly.
The best way to prevent your garage door from being opened by a burglar is to ensure it’s always locked. You can do it with a traditional deadbolt lock or a keyless entry system.
How Do People Break Into Garage Doors?
Usually, people don’t realize how easy it is to break into a garage door. All it takes is a little know-how and the right tools, and anyone can gain access to your home.
The bright side is that you can do some simple things to protect your garage door from being broken into.
Why Are Garage Doors So Important?
Anyone who once had their home broken into will tell you that having a secure garage door is crucial. Not only do garage doors keep your car and other belongings safe from thieves, but they also help to keep your family safe.
We recommend you four tips on how to make sure your garage door is as secure as possible:
- Invest in a good-quality garage door made from sturdy materials. A flimsy door is much easier to break through than a strong one.
- Make sure to have a properly installed door and that all the hardware is secure. A loose hinge or handle can easily be a burglar’s entry point.
- Keep the automatic garage door opener in a safe place where only you know the code. If someone else knows the code, they could quickly gain access to your home.
- Be sure to regularly check the condition of your garage door and all the hardware. If something looks loose or damaged, be sure to fix it right away.
And How To Protect Them from Intruders
Five tips to help keep your garage door and home safe from intruders:
- Use a deadbolt lock on your garage door. The deadbolt lock will make it much harder for someone to break in by force.
- Make sure you have shatterproof garage door windows. Otherwise, an intruder could break the window and reach in to open the door from the inside.
- Invest in a good-quality garage door opener with rolling code technology. To prevent someone from “hacking” into your opener and gaining access to your home.
- Keep your garage door opener remote control out of sight and reach when you’re not using it. In case someone does manage to get their hands on it, they will find a way to be able to use it if they don’t know the code.
- Make sure your garage doors are well-lit at night. Lights will deter would-be thieves from even attempting to break in.
Other Ways To Ensure Your Garage Security
Other things that you can do to ensure your garage is secure:
- Make sure to check the condition of your garage door and opener regularly. If they aren’t working correctly, burglars will target them easily.
- Consider security system installation in your garage. Security systems help to deter criminals and notify you if someone does break in.
- Always keep your garage door closed and locked when you’re not home.
Does Automatic Garage Door Security Work?
Most automatic garage doors are very secure. They come with various security features that make them difficult to break into. However, no garage door is entirely safe.
There are always ways that criminals can find to break into them. The best way to protect your garage door is to keep it in good condition and ensure it can fit the best possible security features. Avoid neglecting your automatic garage door security.
Secure Your Door From Being Kicked In
Burglars enter a home by kicking in the door. Door-kicking can be very effective, as it can be difficult to reinforce a door to withstand this type of force. You can do some things to make it more difficult for a burglar to kick in your door.
One option is to install a steel plate inside the door. The steel plate will make it much harder for the door to kick in, as the steel will absorb considerable force.
Another option is to install a security bar or brace across the inside of the door. This will also help prevent the door from being kicked in, providing additional support.
Finally, you should make sure that your doors are always locked. Many people forget to lock their doors, especially if they go out for a short time. Set the alarm system so that the doors are automatically locked when the alarm is activated.
These simple steps can make it much more difficult for a burglar to gain entry into your home by kicking in your door.
Overhead Security Doors
Overhead security doors are an important part of any business’s security system. They provide a physical barrier that can deter criminal activity and protect your premises from weather and other environmental hazards.
Overhead security doors are also typically made of heavier-duty materials than standard doors, making them more resistant to forced entry. In addition, overhead security doors can be equipped with additional security features such as locks, alarm systems, and CCTV cameras.
As a result, overhead security doors can offer a high level of security for your home, or your business.
Are these guide tips valuable for improving your garage door security? Keep your home safe and help deter burglars by taking simple precautions and investing in a good-quality garage door opener.